Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Waste Not

The quilting on Dutch Treat #3 (aka Dutch Trade) may be going slow, but I finished another quilt made from the SCRAPS of DT3.  Remember a few months ago I showed what I was doing with the skinny little strips left over from trimming these blocks

I'm so glad I decided to sew these as I trimmed, because I now have a completed quilt instead of the boxes of trimmings that I have left from DT #1 and #2.  Sitting down and sewing all of them together is going to be a long boring task that may or may not ever happen.

But since I worked on these a few at a time, I now have this


I machine quilted it Thursday and Friday.  Yesterday I decided to add some Broderie Perse applique to three of the corners




It has a wild orange back with some gold detail that doesn't show well in this picture.


None of these are very good pictures and I apologize for that.  This was another quilt on which I used Superior Thread's King Tut "Old Giza".  I absolutely love this color of variegated KT thread and it ends up working well on many of my quilts lately.  Who would think that looking at it on the spool

I had a terrible time thinking of a name for this quilt, until a friend on Facebook suggested "Waste Not".  I think that will be it unless some of you have better suggestion?  Thinking of names may be the hardest part of making quilts. Do you name yours?



12 comments:

Sheila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheila said...

How clever, almost two quilts for the price of one. I love seeing all of your accomplishments. Have a great week!

West Michigan Quilter said...

How clever of you. I love to find ways to use up those scraps. Your quilt is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Jocelyn said...

Wow Mary, that is amazing!!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

a very good use for your scraps!! nice quilt!!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Sherry said...

Amazing good use of scraps and a good idea sew as you go. Waste not is a perfect name for this quilt.

Teaquilts said...

Hi Mary, haven't been in blogland for a while and the first thing I see is your quilt. Love it, of course. Great use of the scraps.

Karen said...

I think if we each gathered together the threads that we use in a quilting, it would reveal something about our colour choices that doesn't show up when we look at finished items. I know my thread colours sometimes look very different to the overall colour feel of the quilt.

Crispy said...

What a great quilt Mary and a very good idea to sew them up as you went!! I'm terrible about naming quilts, it was easier when I gave them away and just said Emma's Quilt or Saige's Quilt LOL.

Crispy

Anonymous said...

I love that you were able to use the scraps and turn them into something wonderful. And, of course, your applique is beautiful.

Superior Threads said...

What a beautiful quilt. And how clever you were to make the blocks as you went along. I love Old Giza, it's one of my favorite colors

Ricci
Superior Threads

Sunna Reyr said...

It's, for lack of a better word, perfect and that applique on the corners are the dot over the i.

You really have been on a roll this summer.