Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2011

This Is How I Do It

Yesterday a fellow blogger, Terri, asked if I could post some progress pictures to explain just how the Dutch Treat blocks are made.   This is not meant to be a complete tutorial on reverse applique, but hopefully these pictures will explain a little about the process.

I apologize that the pictures aren't the greatest.  They will enlarge if you click on them for more detail.

The patterns are from the book Dutch Treat by Judy Garden.  It is out of print but can be found used on Amazon and other places.

I had my book spiral bound to make it easier to copy the patterns onto my fabric squares.


6 inch squares are cut from the foreground fabric and from the focus (background fabric).  After the applique is complete the blocks will be trimmed to 4 1/2" (4" finished) but you need the extra to have something to hold on to while appliquing.

You can use a lightbox if needed to copy the design onto the top fabric, but I usually find I have no trouble seeing through and just copy them in my lap. I use a mechanical pencil and draw fairly darkly.  I always wash my quilts when they are done and you should be turning under enough that the pencil lines don't show anyway.




Layer the two squares of fabric


The book suggests thread basting the two squares together, but I find using a few pins and removing them as soon as possible works just as well for me.

I usually start near the center of a design and work out.  Begin by cutting away fabric that will be turned under (the places you want the dark fabric to show through).


I just trim one area at a time, do the stitching and then move on to another area and trim.

At this point you are really just doing needleturn applique.  Use fine thread the color of the top fabric and take tiny stiches that will not show.


Move on to the next areas



Two of the flowers completed (actually I guess these are supposed to represent clown smiles as the name of the block is Clown)



And the finished block after pressing and trimming.


Yesterday I also made this block called Clasp


For those of you for whom this day has great significance I hope you have had a beautiful day filled with all of God's graces.

I may not have a lot of computer access in the next week.  But I should have lots of sewing time while traveling.  Catch you later.

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

great tutorial - we do this the same way except I thread basted the blocks together not pin. I don't mind reverse applique on larger pieces but I found that I found the little pieces no fun :) I'm glad I tried though even if I never made the whole quilt but just a table topper. If you ever hear of someone wanting to find the book - I have the book and would be willing to sell it - I know it is out of print and there are very few copies out there on Amazon and last I look people wanted an outrageous price for them - I would be willing to sell for a normal book price.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Yvette said...

Thank you! That was a great tutorial

Barb said...

I so enjoyed that Mary....thanks for the tutorial...

Anonymous said...

This is something I'll never be able to do, but it was interesting seeing the tutorial.

Crispy said...

Thank you (and your camera man) for putting out the tutorial. I know how much work that can be.

Safe travels,

Crispy

Sheila said...

Thank you for the tutorial. I am new to quilting and never saw such fascinating little blocks. Just found your blog last week and really enjoy it. Have a great week!

Terri in BC said...

Thank you so much, Mary! I marvel at your talent and can't believe you get so many done in a day - it would probably take me a week to do just one.

Thanks again for the great tutorial, Terri in BC