Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

#3

You all know me too well.  We stopped at JoAnn's Friday to pick up a couple yards of some black for a border. Didn't find what I needed.  I really wasn't looking for anything else.  I really wasn't.  But then I saw this.





Most of you would think of gorgeous pieced quilts that you would use this for.  Or beautiful borders.  Or a stunning quilt back.  Even Stack 'n Whack (hey that's a GREAT idea!)

But I'm going to cover most of it up. 

Like this



And this



And this



Yep..it's a third Dutch Treat.  And Tom has already named it Dutch Trade because the finished blocks seem to have an  East Indies look to both of us.    I made the first two blocks Friday night to test whether or not the fabric was going to work and the third block yesterday while riding to and from Bentonville.

 I actually bought a very dark brown, nearly black that Tom thought would be a stunning top fabric.  Luckily I only bought the 3 yards they had on hand and didn't special order a whole bolt.  Two problems using that.  1.) How in the world was I going to trace the designs onto it?  2) There are too many really dark areas in the focus fabric and not enough contrast between the two.  I don't want to spend hours making these intricate blocks and not have the work show up in places. 

So cream it is for the top fabric.  I may use the dark brown for sashing and maybe a different border treatment than in the first two.

I know I'm nuts.  I'm never going to get that stack of finished tops quilted.  And I do intend to keep making the 1880's Sampler blocks and the Civil War Quilt blocks.  And I simply have to get quilted my two large applique quilts, and my Dear Jane, and my Threadhead Quiltalong quilt, etc, etc.

But I've really missed working on these and that fabric just SCREAMED  at me.  How could I ignore it?

So I hope you aren't groaning.. "OMG, she is  going to start posting nothing but Dutch Treat blocks every day".  Yep....'fraid so.  You may have to look away.










9 comments:

Crispy said...

Well, I'm not going to look away! This is going to be fun to see each block and how this pretty fabric is going to react with each one :0)

Crispy

Cheryl said...

When something captures you, you have to go with it. Have fun!

Lynette said...

Wow!! What a fantastic fabric for a Dutch Treat! No wonder you had to bring it home. :D I just went and looked at your first two - I'm impressed. :) I'm adding "Dutch Treat" to my list of Can't-Wait-To-Do's (after my insane number of UFOs is under control).

Barb said...

You are so wrong, I always always enjoy your dutch treat blocks...and will so love this one as well.

Teaquilts said...

Yep, your nuts, but I love the fabric. Have fun making it and I look forward to seeing it done. You want to come to STL and bind my DJ? LOL You sure get these type quilts completed fast!

Scrappy quilter said...

That material is drop dead gorgeous...Can't wait to see it all completed.

Anonymous said...

I love your Dutch Treat blocks and I've never seen any fabric that gorgeous at my Joann store.

Sunna Reyr said...

I could not have guessed right, but I love, love the fabric you bought and I'm looking forward to seeing the blocks and how different and jet alike they will look.

I'm busy basting at the moment, just stopped by while I took a rest from it. But later I'm going to take my time looking at the photos from the quilt show and congratulation on your awards, in my opinion you rightly deserve them.

Geta Grama said...

Will you stop at #3?
It will be gorgeous, as the other two.