Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

Love Bugs

I finished binding and laundering the Love Bugs baby quilt yesterday. 



It's wild, huh?  

I agonized for quite awhile about what thread to use with all of these colors in the quilt.  I finally settled on a Valdani 35 wt variegated called Sunny Rainbow  that I got from Cynthia at Iowa Star Quilts and did a simple large meander. 


Love the way the colors change and the heavier thread works just fine with this large meander.  It wouldn't be so good with closer quilting.


I was brave and used a yellow backing, partly because it had flowers on it, which seemed to go with the whole Love Bug/Flower Power theme. Mostly because it was one of the few pieces I had enough of and I've really been trying to concentrate on using stash.  I was afraid I might not be able to get the tension balanced well enough so the brightly colored top thread wouldn't show on the back, but I did a fairly good job  I think.


Not a lot of work on Dutch Treat happening this week between the Exploding Star, the fair and Love Bug.  But I did get two more blocks done Monday and another yesterday.

                                                    Pineapple


Pinwheel


Plantaganet


That finished row 9



All of the rows aren't sewn together at this point as I will hand quilt it in sections.  The top four rows, then the next two will be added and quilted, next two, etc.   This has gone much faster than I ever hoped.  Only five more rows to go = 70 blocks.  Almost time to start deciding what kind of border this one will have.  I pretty sure it will be scalloped like the first and definitely appliqued.

Happy Friday.

4 comments:

Riley said...

Your 'Love Bugs'quilt above is really a CUTE quilt! Bright & eye catching. You do that meandering quilting very well, Ms Mary!

What can I say abt your Dutch Treat? This is going to be your MASTER PIECE of all times...it is beautiful!There is nothing I don't love abt it. FABULOUS!

Sherry said...

I LOVE YOUR "LOVE BUGS" YOU DID A GREAT JOB. YOU EVEN HAD TIME FOR SOME DUTHCH TREAT YOU AMAZING.

Barbara Sindlinger said...

Oh your love bugs quilt is adorable - nice and bright and amazing job on the tension of your quilting.

Crispy said...

Yep it's wild but very appropriate for a child's quilt. The quilting thread was a great choice.

Wow 9 rows done, they look fabulous!!

Crispy