Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Good Student

One of our guild members asked for help in creating a quilt to be auctioned to raise money for rebuilding New Orleans. She grew up in there so the cause is dear to her heart and should be important to all Americans.  She provided a center  4 1/2" square of Mardi Gras fabric and asked each of us to make a 12"  Swamp Angel block out of our choice of fabrics. I made my block a couple weeks ago and gave it to her at our board meeting last week.  I forgot to take a picture.

Today Tom decided to get his block made and I guided him through the process of making quarter-square triangle units for the first time.  I like to use a system of sewing and then cutting so that you aren't working with bias edges. I also like to oversize my squares and trim to size so that HST's and QST's are always perfect.  I showed Tom how to do this and he created a beautiful block.    He picked his fabrics up in Joplin a couple of weeks ago and had very specific reasons for each fabric choice..one reminds him of an alligator, one a snake, another swamp grass, and the light fabric represents moonlight.   This is the most complicated block he has pieced in his fairly short quilting career.  I'm so proud of him! Isn't he a good student?



Friday and Saturday we were gone most of the day but I did get two more Dutch Treat blocks done.


Checkers

Cherries

6 comments:

retdairyqueen said...

Well done Tom
Good student but I reckon he has a pretty good teacher

Barb said...

He did a great job!!

Sherry said...

Great job Tom your a great student and you have a great teacher. Tom I love your fabric combo.

Geta Grama said...

Great job, Tom ! And good teacher !

Crispy said...

WTG TOM!! Beautiful block!! Now that you know how to make these new shapes you can really go to town LOL.

Crispy

Anonymous said...

LOVE THE BLOCK!! I give props to any man willing to take directions from his wife!!LOL! Love your work Mary!
Hannah from jetmore, ks
rasmussenraggies.blogspot.com