Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Roast Sticky Chicken

I was cleaning out some email files last week and found this recipe that someone sent me a few years ago.  So I finally tried it last night and it was delicious!  I used cut up chicken pieces instead of a whole chicken and it worked just fine.  It looks greasy in this picture, but it wasn't at all. The juices start to carmelize as it cooks and if I'd left it in the oven a bit longer all of this would have been absorbed.



Roast Sticky Chicken




4 tsp.salt

2 tsp.paprika

1 tsp. onion powder

1 tsp. thyme

1 1/2 tsp. pepper         

1/2 tsp. garlic powder
( I used 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder and omitted the onion powder)

1 large roasting chicken

1 cup chopped onion



Combine all the spices. Remove the giblets from chicken; clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towles. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag; seal and refrigerate overnight.



When ready to roast the chicken, remove from plastic bag, stuff cavity with onion and place in a shallow baking pan. Roast, uncovered, at 250 degrees F. for 5 hours. After the first hour, baste the chicken occasionally (about every 30 minutes or so) with pan juices. The pan juices will start to caramalize on the bottom of the pan and the chicken will turn golden brown. Let the chicken rest about 10 minutes before carving. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Sherry said...

Sound good I copied it so one day I'm goinf to try it. Thanks

Crispy said...

Yummm that looks good. I don't know that I want to run the oven for 5 hours in this heat, but I copied it for future use, thank you :0)

Crispy

Teaquilts said...

Thanks Mary for the recipe; I'm going to try it this on Monday. I have baked chicken with paprika, but not with all the other ingredients. I'm imaging all the flavors now...

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Thank your Mary for the recipe, sounds and looks delious! I will try it soon. Hope you two have a wonderful weekend! Carolyn