Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

Final Block and Layout Decisions

I drew this block yesterday afternoon, inspired by the 6" Indiana Rose block in my Sylvia's Bridal Sampler



And here are all 25 blocks laying on my living room floor.


I had been assuming I would do some type of sashing between the blocks and was thinking of something like this (ignore all the colors)




It's kind of a reverse of the sashing my friend Linda has used on her set. She's more ambitious than I am and I think she plans a pretty elaborate border, possibly appliqued. I just want a plain border..maybe won't be the traditional Baltimore Album look, but then I seldom do things the traditional way.


After seeing the blocks laid out I'm now leaning towards either no sashing at all or a blended sashing of the same background or another light color. What do you all think?


And in my goal to continue to use my stash, the idea of using this fabric for the border has been growing on me.



I bought this about 3 years ago at Nuts and Bolts in Yoder, KS. Considering it wasn't purchased with any project in mind, it's kind of amazing how well the colors seem to tie into this quilt.



I'm sure open to comments, even if it's to say I've totally lost my mind!




9 comments:

Jacquie said...

I like the idea of no sashing or blended. I think anything else might take aaway from the beautiful applique blocks. I am quite undecided on the border once again I hate to shift my eyes from the blocks and I think the dark fabric forces me to do that. I think I would try to lay out the fabric around at least a corner as much as possible to see the real effect.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

well you are asking so I give my opinion :) keep in mind we all have different likes. I don't care for the dark flowery fabric but that is me. For sashing a very thin strip in between blocks might be nice, I'm thinking very thin like an inch and then that color for the border if you want one. Other wise I would add a border the same color as the background of your applique blocks.
But it is your quilt so you need to go with what you like! :)
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

antique quilter said...

its beautiful
Love the fabric you chose it sure does pick up all the colors in the quilt
I think a small sashing between the blocks would be wonderful
Kathie

Crispy said...

IMHO I wouldn't use sashings and I really like the fabric for the border. Without sashing, it would float.

Crispy

Cheryl Willis said...

what about using the print for the back and binding? I would probably use it as the sashing too. I like the storm at sea alt block for a setting strip. For me bringing in the print does not take away from the appliqued blocks, it celebrates their colors.

Sunna Reyr said...

Well, hm, I love the blocks and your border fabric as well and I think they would play nicely together, I'm thinking I would also use it as thin shashing too. Or at least lay it out like that so I could ponder it.

Phew, am I making sense?

And by the way, I'm glad to see you have gotten back to your old self.

Karen said...

It's going to be a beautiful applique quilt! You do such lovely hand stitching.

Linda said...

"More ambitious"??? I think not. You're at least getting yours done! lol

Susan said...

Hmmm...I think I like it without the sashing. I don't know about the dark border fabric...what about an appliqued border with vines and flowers???