Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

LBQG 2009 Donation Quilt

One of the most exciting parts of last night's guild meeting was seeing our 2009 donation quilt nearly complete. The binding still needs to be added, otherwise it's done. Actually Debbie is going to add a faced edging to the quilt rather than regular binding, so the curved ice cream cone border will be nice and smooth.

This top was donated to the guild by someone who picked it up at an estate sale I believe. The Dresden Plate blocks had been appliqued onto a stark white background and then quilted using a sheet as a backing. All of this did nothing to enhance the wonderful Dresden Plates and the fantastic vintage fabric. Debbie had the idea of taken it all apart and so that is what happened, with guild members hand appliqueing them onto a nice ecru fabric using hand buttonhole stitch. Debbie added the pieced ice cream cone border and it was hand quilted by guild members.

The resulting quilt is beautiful! I don't have the dimensions at the moment, but it is very large. We'll be taking donations throughout the coming months and the quilt will be given away during our quilt show Labor Day weekend. If anyone is interested in tickets for a chance to own this wonderful quilt, email me at the address in my profile and I can help you out! I'll probably be mentioning from time to time throughout the summer!







3 comments:

Barb said...

That quilt is absoutely amazing....you all did a fabulous job. If I didn't live so far away, I would buy a few raffle tickets..

Sunna Reyr said...

Oh, my, I would so love to have that quilt. I am so fond of appliqued Dresden (also Grandmothers garden and other old ones)on white. This was a great job your guild did. Giving new live and usefulness to something old and in this case beautiful is precious.

Crispy said...

Wow that turned out lovely!! Your guild did a wonderful job saving this beautiful quilt.

Crispy